I concocted this easy dish in order to have another weeknight staple that was easy but satisfyingly flavoursome.
This is wholesome and tasty; the earthiness of the mushrooms and herbs is really complemented by the brown rice, and the fact that there is very little cream makes it light and healthy. You can’t ask for much more from a 20 minute meal!
Try it – I think it will become a staple in your home, too.
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 small carrot (finely chopped)
- 1-2 courgettes (finely chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 4 chicken breasts (cubed)
- 300-400g mushrooms
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1/4 glass of white wine
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 30 ml soy cream (or real cream if you prefer)
- handful of finely chopped coriander
- brown rice cooked according to instructions
- Fry onion in the olive oil on a low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, courgette(s) carrot and fry for 1-2 more minutes
- Add chicken and fry until cooked through
- Add mushrooms and cook until soft
- Add stock and wine and cook until sauce thickens
- Run your fingers along thyme to separate the small leaves from the stalk and add the leaves to the mixture, cook for a further 3 minutes
- Add cream and stir
- Serve over brown rice, sprinkling coriander on top